Elephango Acceptable Use Policy
Elephango Rights and Responsibilities
It is the policy of Elephango to maintain an environment that promotes ethical and responsible conduct in all online network activities by staff and students. It shall be a violation of this policy for any employee, student, or other individual to engage in any activity that does not conform to the established purpose and general rules and policies of the network. Within this general policy, Elephango recognizes its legal and ethical obligation to protect the well-being of students in its charge. To this end, Elephango retains the following rights and recognizes the following obligations.
- To log service, network, and system use and to monitor server space utilization by students.
- To place on hold, suspend, terminate, or remove a user account.
- To monitor the use of online activities. This may include real-time monitoring of network activity and/or maintaining a log of internet activity for later review.
- To provide internal and external controls as appropriate and feasible. Such controls shall include the right to determine who will have access to Elephango resources and, specifically, to exclude those who do not abide by Elephango’s acceptable use policy or other policies governing the use of facilities, equipment, and resources.
- To provide guidelines and make reasonable efforts to train staff and students in acceptable use and policies governing online communications.
- Staff members who supervise students, control electronic equipment or server access, or otherwise have occasion to observe student use online shall make reasonable efforts to monitor the use of these services to ensure that it conforms to the AUP Elephango.
- Staff should make reasonable efforts to become familiar with the services, tools and resources utilized so that effective monitoring, instruction, and assistance may be achieved.
- Use of the services and resources provided by Elephango are a privilege that offer a wealth of information. Where it is available, this resource is offered to staff, students, and other patrons. In order to maintain the privilege, students agree to learn and comply with all of the provisions of this policy.
- All use of the services and resources must be in support of educational objectives consistent with the mission and objectives of Elephango.
- Proper codes of conduct in electronic communication must be used. In community or public online spaces, giving out personal information is inappropriate. When using private or public chat functionality, extreme caution must always be taken in revealing any information of a personal nature.
- Elephango accounts are to be used only by the authorized owner of the account for the authorized purpose.
- All communications and information accessible via Elephango should be assumed to be private property.
- Exhibit exemplary behavior while using Elephango services as a representative of your school and community. Be polite, be courteous and be respectful of yourself and others!
- From time to time, Elephango will make determinations on whether specific uses of services and resources are consistent with the acceptable use practice.
- Giving out personal information about another person, including home address and phone number, is strictly prohibited.
- Any use of the service, resources, or student network for commercial or for-profit purposes is prohibited.
- Any product advertisement or political lobbying is prohibited.
- Students shall not intentionally seek information on, obtain copies of, or modify files, other data, or passwords belonging to other students, or misrepresent other students.
- No use of the services or resources shall serve to disrupt the use of the network by others. Hardware and/or software shall not be destroyed, modified, or abused in any way.
- Malicious use of the network to develop programs that harass other students or infiltrate a computer or computing system and/or damage the software components of a computer or computing system is prohibited.
- Hate mail, chain letters, harassment, discriminatory remarks, and other antisocial behaviors are prohibited on the network.
- Downloading, copying, otherwise duplicating, and/or distributing copyrighted materials without the specific written permission of the copyright owner is prohibited, except that duplication and/or distribution of materials for educational purposes is permitted when such duplication and/or distribution would fall within the Fair Use Doctrine of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, USC).
- Use of the network for any unlawful purpose is prohibited.
- Use of profanity, obscenity, racist terms, or other language that may be offensive to another user is prohibited.
- Playing games is prohibited unless specifically authorized by a teacher for instructional.educational purposes.
- Elephango cannot be held accountable for the information that is retrieved via the network.
- Pursuant to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 USC 2510 et seq.), notice is hereby given that there are no facilities provided by this system for sending or receiving private or confidential electronic communications. System administrators have access to all mail and will monitor messages. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Elephango will not be responsible for any damages you may suffer, including loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by our own negligence or your errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained is at your own risk.
- Elephango makes no warranties (expressed or implied) with respect to:
- the content of any advice or information received by a user, or any costs or charges incurred as a result of seeing or accepting any information; and
- any costs, liability, or damages caused by the way the user chooses to use his or her access to the network.
- Elephango reserves the right to change its policies and rules at any time.